Thursday, July 11, 2013

Five tips for relocating for your job

1. Do less:  Anything that didn't get done before you were moving can wait until after you've arrived. Don’t stuff your time full of non-pressing overdue tasks that will surely stress you out. For me this means buying a car.  I will buy it after I get settled when my mind is clear and will rent in the meantime.
2. Ask for helpReach out to anyone who may know your new area. The more sets of eyes looking for apartments, moving deals or even upcoming fun events, the better. I emailed over a dozen new people I met at the conference I went to in April and have gotten great website referrals and offers to meet up.
3. Estimate a budget: Deposits, gas, scouting trips, meals on the go…add up quick. Think ahead about what you want to spend during your transition and how you need to pay for things (credit card vs cash).

4. Throw away a lot: Moving is the perfect time to get rid of everything since you have to pick it up to pack it. Start by setting up bins for trash, donate, and keep. I plan on taking only the necessities to start and moving the rest at a later date, giving me time later to drop the donations.
5. Take time to be with friends: Don’t forget that its hard on others to have you go! Make sure you take time to fill in friends about your news and enjoy their company while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment