You can learn about the basics of moving in our guide to Insurance Tools and Tips When You're Moving, including a Moving Checklist, People to Contact Reminder, and Household Inventory Worksheet, but read on for our top 9 moving/relocation tips and tricks that are less commonly known.
TIP-1: PACKING YOUR PLACE
There's more to packing than hunting down used boxes online or at the grocery store. Packing moving boxes is a special art. The trick is to get specialized boxes for fragile or oddly shaped items. You can purchase these boxes from moving or storage companies. You may have to shell out a few extra dollars($$$$), but it will be worth it when your items arrive in one piece.
- For kitchen breakables, purchase "dish barrel" boxes to hold your dishes in place.
- Wall art & mirrors are better protected in long, flat boxes.
- They're not exactly boxes, but vacuum-sealing bags for coats and other clothing can help you save a lot of space.
- Cylindrical poster tubes are an ideal container for art that can be rolled up.
- Wardrobe boxes with a bar for hanging your clothes may seem decadent, but they're huge timesavers when it's time to unpack.
TIP-2: DON'T RESIST LABELS
You really can't over-label when it comes to moving. Consider numbering your boxes and keeping a reference list. That way, if you need to find something, you'll know which box number to look for. Some movers will even color code each box to its appropriate room. Make your labels highly visible. Mark boxes on their tops and sides so you can read them even if they're vertically stacked.