There are a lot of things you can do to ensure that you and your belongings travel safely to your new home. Here are some quick tips for an injury-free moving when loading or unloading your items.
- Ask someone to help you lift heavy items. But don't overdo it and avoid lifting loads that are too heavy.
- Use a dolly for heavy items and boxes. Make sure the blades are centered and completely under the load. Keep the load balanced and always walk with the dolly in front of you, with heavier items on the bottom. Avoid loading items onto the dolly higher than chest-level.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing that may get snagged while carrying furniture out of doorways and into the moving truck.
- Consider wearing leather gloves when dealing with large, heavy objects with sharp edges.
- Wear durable, supportive footwear with a good grip. As much as possible, avoid sandals or open-toed shoes.
- Take small breaks throughout the loading process especially when you have a lot of stuff to move.
- Make sure you can see where you're walking.
- Never walk on slippery, uneven surfaces.